Vocab Settings (Chinese iOS)
Adjust various vocab settings to optimize how you would like to study.
You can access the Vocab Settings by tapping the settings gear on the home screen of the app, then "Vocab".
- Retention Rate
- Heisig Keywords
- Download Sentences
- Add Frequency
- Characters in Words
- Style: Choose which character style you would like to study
Choose from simplified characters, traditional characters, or a combination of both.
- Retention Rate: Adjust the overall retention rate percentage
The higher the retention rate percentage, the more reviews that will be generated. If you find you have a retentive memory, you could try adjusting the retention rate lower, and likewise if you need a few extra repetitions by adjusting it higher.
- Writing: Toggle to enable / disable writing prompts
Existing writing prompts already added will linger when disabled, unless you clear the app's local data.
- Reading: Toggle to enable / disable reading prompts
Existing reading prompts already added will linger when disabled, unless you clear the app's local data.
- Tone: Toggle to enable / disable tone prompts
Existing tone prompts already added will linger when disabled, unless you clear the app's local data.
- Definition: Toggle to enable / disable definition prompts
Existing definition prompts already added will linger when disabled, unless you clear the app's local data.
- Heisig Keywords: Toggle to enable / disable Heisig keywords
Heisig keywords are used in the popular Remembering the Hanzi (RTH) series by James Heisig.
- Download Sentences: Toggle to enable / disable example sentences for words
Sentences are downloaded when a word is first added into your studies. In order to see sentences for words previously added, you can clear the app's local data after enabling the option.
- Language: Choose which language to use for definitions
There are 20 source languages to choose from: English, Russian, German, Italian, French, Spanish, Hungarian, Portuguese, Polish, Swedish, Finnish, Norwegian, Romanian, Hindi, Dutch, Vietnamese, Korean, Chinese, Japanese, and Cantonese. If a definition is not yet available in your chosen source language, it will default to English.
- Add Frequency: Adjust how often words are automatically added.
Choose from slow, normal, fast, or manual. If set to manual, no words will be added unless manually tapping the add word button at the top of the study screen.
- Characters in Words: Toggle to enable / disable adding single characters from words.
When enabled, each character from a multiple character word will be added as it's own vocabulary entry when multiple character words are added.