Skritter Mobile Guide (3.3.4)
Your guide to the Skritter: Write Chinese and Skritter: Write Japanese mobile applications. Happy studying!
The Home screen allows you to quickly access all of your active decks (lists) on Skritter. Daily reviews appear at the top of the screen until the queue has no cards due anymore. After tapping the button you can configure your review activity any way you'd like. If you're looking for more control, or longer study sessions you can choose the decks you're studying from and/or turn on advanced settings to enter a continuous review session that will allow you to study endlessly until you end the study session.
A daily collection of cards from everything you're studying on your Skritter account. The number of reviews due each day is a combination of new cards added to the queue after being studied in Learn mode, cards you're struggling to remember, and cards that you're likely to forget without a reminder now and then. Review mode is similar to the classic SRS system on the website and Skritter Chinese and Skritter Japanese apps. However, new items are no longer automatically added to your Review queue and instead are studied in decks first.*
Long-term retention and focused study on the things you struggle with the most on Skritter.
Try to study your queue to zero daily as often as you can. If you have too many cards due you can choose to focus on a smaller set of cards by selecting how many cards appear during an activity, which can be great for setting smaller daily study goals!
*Note: The ability to continue studying cards marked as forgotten during daily activities will be coming to a future version of this app.
Once on a deck's main screen, you can see details about your progress, or go to specific sections. From the main screen you can go into a learning activity (tapping the button will you to the next non-studied item in the deck based on overall deck progress), take a deck-level test, or go to individual sections for more focused studying and testing.
Study new vocabulary from the deck (or deck section) of your choice. The learning activity will take you through an item's definition, reading, tone (Chinese only), and writing. Once all cards have been studied or skipped the item will be marked as studied and it will appear in the Review queue for long-term study.
A focused learning experience that shows comprehensive information about a card before teaching the proper stoker order and allowing for lots of character writing practice.
Learn anything you want at your own pace. Perfect for classroom settings and more casual learning with Skritter’s hand-made content or tons of textbooks and decks.
The most flexible study option available on Skritter. Check your skills on any deck or deck section you want. Sort by individual card types, and even ignore banned items or study things you've haven't studied on Skritter yet.* Once a test is finished you'll receive your report and have to option to take another test or return to the deck or deck section.*
A study mode designed to help short-term memory and comprehension. An opportunity for extended practice to help solidify new things you're learning for the first time, and a way to quickly and repeatedly study vocabulary.
Perfect for preparing for daily vocabulary tests, or studying targeted sets of vocabulary from decks or deck sections. Also, great for a quick personal challenge of the things you’re learning! Tests target short-term memory. Extended practice to help solidify things you're studying in Learn mode and increase your chances to mark " got it" with confidence the first time it appears in your review queue!
*Note: Expired subscriptions can only test learned items on Premium content.
*Note: The ability to view and study incorrect cards at the end of a test will be coming in a future version of the app.
Making and Editing Custom Decks:
Language learning is a personal experience and the mobile app offers you the ability to create custom Decks anytime and anywhere. Tap on the plus button on the My Library tab of the Deck's screen and give your new deck a name! Once your deck has a name, you'll be taken to the Deck's main info screen.
Tap the pencil icon to edit the name, add a description, add names to sections, and add/remove sections as you see fit. After sections have been added tap the save icon on the top-right of the screen. Each deck section can have up to 200 vocabulary items in it ( we recommend keeping list sections more manageable, with between 10-50 items, for a more pleasant studying and testing experience).
Add vocabulary items to your deck sections by tapping the plus icon on the bottom-right of the screen. Search in pinyin or characters on the Chinese side, and use Kanji, Kana, or Romaji on the Japanese side. Skritter's database has thousands upon thousands of entries, and sometimes you might need to select what you're looking from the screen. Skritter tries to recommend the most common entries, but the app displays anything that comes up in the query so be sure to double-check before you add something to your new deck! Once you're done, tap the save button and you'll be able to Learn, Test, and Review everything from your new deck!
*Note* Deck management is still under development with more features and improvements coming soon. The ability to editing Skritter created decks, and add brand new entries to Skritter's database will be coming soon. In the meantime, these features are currently available from your account on https://skritter.com/
Writing Canvas and Study Screen Buttons:
Skritter was built first and foremost to be a tool to help you learn to read and write Chinese and Japanese. Depending on the study mode you're using the writing canvas might look slightly different than what is pictured above, but the core functionality will always be the same. From the writing canvas, and other cards you can access the Quick Settings menu on the top-right of the screen.
Open the Additional Information screen by tapping the icon or by sliding your finger right to left from the right side of the screen. On this screen, you can star and ban vocabulary, edit definitions, add/edit mnemonics, view your study progress, and write custom example sentences (coming to a future version of the app).
Vocabulary audio is indicated by an Audio button on both study cards and the Additional Information screen*. If you open this screen before answering a card, it will automatically be marked incorrect ("forgot").
* Note: We strive to provide high-quality audio from native speakers of Chinese and Japanese in our applications and are adding new audio to Skritter regularly.
Tapping the Teaching Mode button automatically plays vocabulary audio (if available) and helps you check a character's composition and stroke order. It also marks the card as incorrect, which you can change manually if necessary.
Finally, you can navigate Back and Forward during your study activities. The Back button is useful for going back to re-write characters, correct accidental taps, and adjust grading. The Forward button automatically marks something as correct ("got it") and skips to the next card or part of the card.
To access your account settings, tap the hamburger icon in the upper left corner from any of the main screens in the app and then select Settings from the slide-out menu. Select between User, Study, and Subscription settings at the bottom of the app.
Study settings for Skritter have been designed to try and meet all of your learning needs. Learn more about each setting in-app or below.
- Advanced SRS grading: Turn this on for the classic 4-button(forgot, hard, got it, easy) Skritter experience during Review mode.
- Retention rate: Control your target retention rate for each card you're studying in Review mode. A higher retention rate means more reviews more often.
- Animation speed: Adjust how fast stroke animation snaps to the canvas.
- Animation effect: Set the style of the stroke animation.
- Auto-advance: With auto-advance on, you can control the amount of time between cards once a grade has been detected. You can pause auto-advancing by tapping near the center of the screen at any time, which makes adjusting grading or re-writing a character again a breeze!
- Auto-advance speed: Adjust the amount of time it takes to move to the next card. Select the amount of time between cards when a card marked as correct ("got it") and the other grades will advance faster or slower depending on what you choose.
- Character style (Chinese only): Study Simplified, Traditional, or Both*
- Autoplay audio: Turning this off stops the app from automatically playing card audio while studying on Skritter. Tapping the audio icon on cards will still play word, character, or sentence audio if available.
- Auto reveal: Automatically show hidden information once a card has been fully answered. (ex. on a writing card like 明天 the hidden information will not be displayed until 天 has been written).
- Hide definition: Definitions are hidden on Reading cards and on Tone cards (Chinese only). They can be shown at any time by tapping "show definition" or at the end of the card if auto-reveal is on.
- Hide reading: Readings are hidden on Definition cards and on Tone cards (Chinese only). They can be shown at any time by tapping "show reading" or at the end of the card if auto-reveal is on.
- Bopomofo (Chinese only): Display Zhuyin instead of Pinyin.
- Study Kana (Japanese only): Enabled by default. This allows you to study Kana handwriting and reading cards.
- Raw Squigs: A more authentic writing experience. No pretty stroke snapping what you write is what you see on the canvas.